Coping Schools is a whole-of-community approach to developing and supporting health and wellbeing. It involves staff, students, and parents creating a culture of coping and supporting others. Coping schools does this by building on existing strengths, rather than focusing on deficits.
Components of Coping Schools
- All teaching and administrative staff are trained in Care · Collaborate · Connect: Psychological First Aid to be able to promote coping and be able to support students and staff who when they are upset.
- School counsellors, psychologists and social workers trained in Care · Collaborate · Connect: Suicide Prevention to be able to support students and staff who when they are upset.
- Teachers of children in grades 5-12 deliver Coping Schools curriculum.
- Parents complete the Coping Kids program to support their children to develop healthy coping strategies.
- The annual Student Wellbeing Survey provides a metric of overall wellbeing of the school and changes over time.
Cost AND Duration
Care · Collaborate · Connect: Suicide Prevention
Duration: 8-10 hours
Cost: $154 (GST inclusive)
Care · Collaborate · Connect: Psychological First Aid
Duration: 1-2 hours
Cost: $66 (GST inclusive)
Care · Collaborate · Connect: Coping Schools curriculum
Cost: free-of-charge for teachers trained in Care · Collaborate · Connect
Duration: 3 weekly 45-min class lessons
Coping Schools was developed to help schools promote health and wellbeing. It normalises unpleasant emotions and coping and promotes coping self-efficacy. Coping Schools situates coping within a biopsychosocial framework of health and wellbeing for individuals and communities.
The Coping Schools curriculum materials are available free-of-charge to teachers and health professionals who have completed Care · Collaborate · Connect Suicide Prevention or Psychological First Aid training and who work with children and adolescents in group settings. To access the resources, email your request and copy of your Care · Collaborate · Connect training competition certificate to contact@